Curtain Catatrosphe

Ok…so that alliteration is a little dramatic…but…

About two months ago I did one of the hardest things I’ve done in a while (Apparently finding time to blog about it proved even harder).

I sewed my first curtain.

Awhile ago I saw a tutorial for a ‘fake’ roman shade and decided it seemed easy enough for my first major home decor project.The bathroom is one of my least favorite rooms in our apartment, and always in need of some love, so I decided to tackle the window in there with my first attempt.

The bathroom is tiled in baby pink and black with stark white walls. Last year, when we moved in, we decided to throw more fuel on the fire and deck the room out in white and black (What else could we do?…We certainly didn’t want to add any more pink!) We added a striped shower curtain, some pretty printed towels and spray painted the floor cabinet black as well as a funky towel rack we were given. All in all, the room looks pretty much as good as it’s going to get. On the other hand, it’s still not the highlight of our apartment experience – so if I messed up the curtains, it wouldn’t be a huge loss.

I found a fabric that I liked and a week or so later, I set to work with my sewing machine and a glue gun (what? I didn’t say that) on my first ever curtain project.

This was taken either:

a. after I told Sean to take a posed fake picture of me ‘hard at work’ or

b. just before I told him to scram because I was serious about this sewing stuff and couldn’t be bothered with cameras

You’ll never know the truth…

The “simple tutorial” ended up posing a series of extremely difficult challenges. I had no idea what was going on in most of the photos, had to research how to sew a proper hem (because this is, understandably, assumed to be prior knowledge of those who would embark on such a project), and last but certainly not least, this little gadget and I became the best of friends…

In the end, after ripping out dozens of rows of stitches, this was the finished result.

I have to be honest and say that I had intended them to be a bit longer, but I failed to take into account the extra room I needed at the top to attach them to the wall. Lesson learned.

Many lessons learned.

I may have to take a short break from curtain crafting due to the trauma it causes me – but I’m sure that I will be back. I like the new addition to our bathroom…and our other windows are beginning to look a bit lonely.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Curtain Catatrosphe

  1. Pingback: Best of 2011 « Our Something New

  2. Pingback: Some Stuff About Stuff « Our Something New

  3. Pingback: Nesting « Our Something New

Something you said...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s